Mushroom Spawn Bags | ‘Grow Bags’
Arkham’s Botanical stock American brand Unicorn’s high-quality and hard-wearing side-gusseted polypropylene filter patch bags. Mushroom spawn bags are a mycology essential, useful for making fruiting blocks, propagating cultures and sterilising grain. These autoclavable bags incorporate Unicorn’s ultra-reliable ‘Type 14’ filter and have been tried and tested by ourselves with great success!
Anyone who’s ever tried to grow mushrooms knows that sterility really is key, so the polypropylene (an autoclavable thermoplastic which won’t melt until temperatures reach at least 266°F) material of these bags is great, allowing easy and safe sterilisation by means of a steam or other pressure cooker.
Further, the gusseted folding of the spawn bags means that the bag can hold a surprisingly large amount of spawn, while the 0.5 micron filter patch on the front is the perfect solution to allowing the flow of fresh air without letting mould spores and other contaminants through.
Other benefits of using bags
- Easily spread spawn to bulk substrate
- Quickly bulk propagate cultures
- They can be recycled for a variety of purposes (we use them as humidity chambers)
- Use them as a mini fruiting chamber
- Use to easily break up spawn for mixing and to speed up colonisation times